Monday, September 18, 2006
bidi bidi bom bom
So, I'm currently home watching Selena; it's playing on Vh1, and I thought to myself, "whoaw how tragic."
There's something that draws us to others misfortunes. There's something that draws us to people who have struggled, to those who have triumphed, and to those who didn't get the opportunity to live to their full potential- perhaps just those who didn't get to live. For some reason we never really realize that until it happens to some famous icon or idol, like when Allyiah died, Buddy Holly, or Lynyrd Skynyrd. For some reason there death is worse then your neighbor's death, because they were special in some way, they had talent, they had something that we ordinary people didn't have. The media feeds on this. They've made "Selena", a movie based on the Jackson 5, even "What's love got to do with it," which is based on Tina Turner. Society models life after others, we strive to mimic those who have been in situations similar to our own, especially when the person/ people we idolize, triumph and become rich and famous.
I love watching those movies cause it makes those people feel more personable, but I can't help but think that the companies that produce the movies, as well as the music companies that do the music, have other motives.
1 comment:
I think they have other motives too! It's just another way to make money in hollywood.
Post a Comment