“A judge has declared a mistrial in the case of a Korean-American man accused of pulling a gun on two golfers, saying the Virginia Tech massacre could affect the man's rights to a fair trial.”
Well, isn’t he lucky? Unfortunately, as history has shown us, we, as a society, tend to prosecute others based on another actions of similar background, nationality, etc. (Does that make sense?) I guess what I mean is we went to form biased assumptions. A few friends and I were discussing the Virginia Tech shooting a few days ago, and my friend brought up a really good point. He asked, “weren’t you scared when news came out that the shooter was possibly Asian?” All of us pondered this for a minute, especially since most of us were Asian, and then one person spoke up and said yes it made them nervous, but they were not sure why, as if that person’s nationality or background would reflect poorly on their own character.
So, if they shooter was of your ethnic background, how would you react? Would you feel embarrassed or ashamed?
Side rant: Senior from S.Korea identified as shooter at Virginia Tech
Someone tell me why they had to include his Race/ Ethnicity/ Origin of Birth.. whatever, when he had lived in the states the majority of his life?
Another story also comes to mind,
I actually felt really bad for the shooter for a few reasons—based on what I read I felt bad that he was subjected to teasing, even though we all go through that, and that he was basically an outcast and troubled. I also felt bad for the family, just like how the victims and their families deserve some respect; I feel that the shooters family does too. Cause in reality, no parent would want their child to commit such a heinous crime.
Anyway, back to my story. When I was still at a JC there was this boy that was slightly off. He was a loner, acted kind of strange, and I noticed people tended to tease him occasionally. He would often sit at our table at lunch, and even got our email addresses from a class mailing list. I always tried to be fairly kind. One day a friend of mine asked why, and I responded “because everyone needs a friend” and secretly I thought about the crazies that shoot up schools, and then I told him that out loud.
After I told him my theory, he told me about an incident at his school about a similar male class mate who went crazy and threatenedd to kill the one person that was nice to him.
Damn that sucks.
1 comment:
I totally agree with you. All of his background information is completely irrelevant. People overlook the ACTION that he committed and focus on WHY he did the action. It almost gives him an excuse for doing what he did by saying all people who were bullied have shooting sprees in them, when that's not true at all.
Post a Comment