Tuesday, November 07, 2006

The Fremont A's?

Obviously, sports play a huge part in American culture. Sports provide a major source of advertisement and a strange sense of nationalism. How many people do you know dress up head to toe in their team's colors? How many people dress up head to toe in or nations colors?

So, what happens when the team of your choice, decides to relocate? How does this effect you? Apparently, the Oakland A's may be relocating to Fremont. Yes, Fremont Now, I am from Fremont, and let me say, it is a very boring place. The most exciting thing that has happened in Fremont was that the Costco expanded and Walmart opened. Another funny thing is that Cisco Systems, a company my dad works for, is assisting in this relocation. (Small world huh?) So, what I am pondering is what is this going to do to #1 Oakland and #2 Fremont. Am I going to be more enticed and proud to be a Fremont citizen because we now have a baseball team? I think not? Is this a way for Fremont to attract more people with the lure of sport, beer, and and cracker jack ads? I think so. So, now my next question is, what will Oakland have, other then an empty stadium? With advertisers pulling away funding from Oakland, and with the lost of public funds, like the baseball games- which funds for workers- it will effect the city and possibly worsen the lower income side of the community. Damn, I hope this doesn't cause a Fremont - Oakland rift compariable to the Westside - Eastside feud. Do I need to be scared of drive by's from disgruntaled A's fans dressed in green and gold?

1 comment:

Lilly Buchwitz said...

Kim, there's something wrong with your template. I should be able to click on either the title of your post, or the time stamp at the end, and get the permalink to your post, but I can't. (I wanted to link to your fried Coke story on my blog... but I can't.)